Sunday, August 07, 2011

Change is inversely proportional to our age

This is my first post I think almost after a year. Somehow, I like writing but then literally did not get time to write for leisure. I was writing a lot of other things (Exams, project reports, essays, etc.) during my first year of the MBA. But all this while I felt I was missing something. Today is one of those times when I realized that writing was among the many things that I was missing. So, I decided to restart writing with a simple yet powerful observation.
Here it goes:
"Change is inversely proportional to our age".

By change, I mean change that we are ready to undergo or accept. When we were small, we all learned "Change is the only constant" or "Variety is the spice of life". But when we grew up, we almost forget these things. Now, I know these phrases are very broad and may mean many things, but they are still applicable to a lot of things that we do in our daily lives. Now, you must be wondering what made me think of it. Or may be I have become too philosophical. Well, let me tell you the truth. I have been through a lot of ups and downs during the last one year. Those who know me close know well enough. But all this while, my inquisitiveness for the events that happened and why they happened led me to at least one thing: the more we grow older the less change we accept. Now, I have not dived into the reasons of this newly discovered useless theory of mine. But it does seem to be very true.
When I first went to my undergraduate school in India, I was willing to accept change. I was very adaptable and flexible. May be because I had less things to worry about or I had less money. Whatever it is, the older I grew, I realized that I was not willing to accept the same things that I would have done at least 6 years back. And I have noticed the same phenomenon with other people as well. May be it is our ego, may be we become too comfortable, may be we start taking some things for granted or may be we just become old (literally). Its a good thing to ponder (especially if someone is preparing for MBA interviews). Anyways, the point I am trying to make is to return to the roots, to the self-confident beings we were, to the fighters we once were. I am pretty sure it will enable us to lead better and happier lives.

P.S. I think I may have developed this theory (among several others) during my one-hour commute to work everyday. And I have more that I will write later.

No comments: